Thursday, January 7, 2010

Match Maker Mom

I personally find Mrs. Bennet, for lack of a better word, a crazy mom. She is very mischievous, slightly corrupt, and intent about marriage. Mrs. Bennet like the step mom in Ever After (a spin off of Cinderella) is willing to do anything to get her daughters that much closer to marriage. She actually plans on the rain to come down so Jane has to stay at Mr. Bingley's house. Even after learning of her daughters sickness she has no feelings of worry but is ecstatic that Jane gets to spend more time in the house.
"and her mother attended her to the door with many cheerful prognostics of a bad day. Her hopes were answered; Jane had not been gone long before it rained hard. Her sisters were uneasy for her, but her mother was delighted."
Excuse me if this doesn't sound like a deranged mom but I feel Mrs. Bennet is to set on marriage. She is willing to put her daughter in harms way in order to find a "suitable match". I'm just glad that I can live my life knowing my mom won't through me into a rain storm because a rich batchelor just moved in down the road and she wants me to be marooned at his house. : )

1 comment:

  1. I have to say that I agree with Zoe and Mrs. Bennet being crazy. When she says,"No, my dear, you had better go on horseback, because it seems likely to rain, and then you must stay all night." is a great example of the values that seem presented at that period in time. I know that for the most part if a girl stayed the night at a mans house it would be inappropriate. It is most interesting to see mothers push their daughters into situations such as these for I know (like Zoe) that my mother would not try that.
    I do wonder however how young daughters must feel when their mothers are pushing them to get married. I know that back then getting married was what most women wanted but what if you were part of the select few that did not? What would you do then? Would you still marry to make your parents happy?

    ReplyDelete