Thursday, January 7, 2010

While reading chapters 7 thru 10 of pride and prejudice I became angered with the way that Mrs. Hurst and Miss. Bingley talk about Elizabeth as soon as she leaves the room but are completely nice to her when she is in the room. An example would be on page 29 "When dinner was over, she (elizabeth) returned directly to Jane, and Miss Bingley began abusing here as soon as she was out of the room. Her manners were pronuced to be very bad indeed, a mixture of pride and impertinence; she had no conversation, no style, no taste, no beauty. " This annoyed me because it adds to the thought that women had nothing better to do then gossip and create drama. I am withholding my judgement of the book as a whole until I am through but the book so far is very rude, gossip centered and I personally do not like it. I like Elizabeth's character and how Jane Austen described her as compassionate for her sister "Elizabeth continued her walk alone, crossing field after field at a quick pace, jumping over stiles and springing over puddles with impatient activity, and finding herself at last within view of the house, with weary ankles, dirty socks, and a face glowing with the warmth of exercise." I also disliked how Mr. BIngley would speak to Miss. Bingley and Mrs. Hurst but they would not speak to him, instead they would speak to Mr. Darcy and ignore their brother completely. I personally am tomboyish and am often covered in dirt so I would be a topic of discussion on how unruly I was.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your anger, girl drama is not worth it. At least there is reason to miss Bingley's behavior, she is in love with Mr. Dracy. "Miss Bingley saw, or suspected enough to be jealous; and her great anxiety for the recovery of her dear friend Jane received some assistance from her desire of getting rid of Elizabeth." And some reason to Mrs. Hurst's, for family has your back.

    ReplyDelete